Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Ft. Worth = Oil Rigs + Fighter Jets

There are two things so common in Fort Worth, Texas that you take them for granted: the ubiquious rigs drilling for natural gas in the Barnett Shale, and fighter jets screaming in and out of the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, formerly known as Carswell Air Force Base, a major military installation in west Fort Worth and a major contributor to the local economy.


Here are some photos of just one the gas wells near the farm. I took these photos from my brother David's house:






Here is a photo I took of a jet shooting overhead (see the video clip below for what they sound like):



Here is what the jets look like upclose (trust me, I did not take these photos! they are public domain shots from wiki):




Okay, I did take this video, in which you can barely see the planes, but you will get an idea of what they sound like!

No comments: